***Online applications for the 2013 Police Cadet intake are no longer being accepted. We thank all applicants for their interest.***
The Halton Regional Police Service established its one-year Police Cadet program in June, 2009.
The primary purpose of the Police Cadet program is to promote and enhance the career development and experience of future Police Constable candidates.
Six Halton Regional Police Service Cadets are currently assigned to locations throughout the Region.
- To staff a Halton Regional Police Service Call Centre, to obtain all relevant information from callers and complete appropriate occurrence reports
- To provide front-line information and assistance to members of the public (in person and by telephone)
- To participate in ride-alongs while under the supervision of police officers; become familiar with police procedures, and to assist police officers in the performance of their duties
- To participate as a member of the Halton Regional Police Service at community events, crime prevention initiatives, special projects
- To perform other duties as directed
To be considered for a Police Cadet position, candidates must:
- Be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be of good moral character and habits
- Be mentally able to perform the job
- Possess a valid driver's licence (minimum Class 'G') with a good driving record
- Have successfully completed secondary school or the approved equivalent
- Meet vision standards of uncorrected visual accuity of at least 20/40 binocularly, corrected visual accuity should be at least 20/20 binocularly, with normal colour vision, and normal hearing standards
- Possess either a OACP Certificate of Results, or the ability to obtain this certificate during the contract position
- Possess a good level of physical fitness
- Possess a current Standard First Aid certificate and current CPR certificate (Basic Rescuer Level C)
- Between the ages of 19-24 years of age
- Resident of Halton Region or within 50km of the area
- Recent post-secondary graduate or in the last semester of post-secondary education, with graduation in Spring, 2013
Work Duration and Salary:
Individuals hired as Police Cadets with the Halton Regional Police Service will be paid a salary for the duration of their one year work experience program.
Work term commences in May, 2013.
Candidates will be assigned varied shifts, including days, evenings, nights and weekends.
How To Apply:
The recruiting process typically consists of information sessions and the submission of online applications. Subsequent stages involve interviews, psychological testing, background investigations and medical examinations.
Online applications for the 2013 Police Cadet intake are no longer being accepted.
For more information about the Halton Regional Police Service Police Cadet program, contact: