Frequently Asked Questions 
Officer filling in paperwork 

The following series of Frequently Asked Questions are provided by the Halton Regional Police Service to assist members of the public and visitors to the Police Reporting Centre.

For more inforamtion about the content contained here, contact:

The Halton Regional Police Service
Police Reporting Centre
905-825-4747 ext. 5164

Where can I find more information on municipality by-laws? (i.e. noisy parties, dogs, bicycles, street hockey)

Municipal by-laws are regulated between various towns and cities in the Halton Region and may differ, depending on location. For example, it is a popular misconception that noise by-laws in Halton Region regulate a cut-off time at 11:00 p.m. at night. To find precise information on an issue related to a by-law in your area, refer to the individual city or town website page for by-laws as listed in the right navigation bar.

Note: The HRPS will respond if there is an ongoing by-law infraction that requires immediate response. If necessary, police will act, file a report for follow-up by the appropriate by-law agency and/or lay charges.

Where can I find more information related to landlord and tenant issues? (i.e. legal rights, overdue payment, eviction)

Landlord and tenant situations can become complicated due to the various legal rights that both the tenant and the landlord have under different circumstances. In most cases with regard to eviction, before a landlord can apply to evict a tenant, they must first give the tenant a Notice of Termination outlining the nature of the issue for the tenant. If the tenant does not correct the problem and/or does not move out, the landlord can file an application with the Landlord and Tenant Board, which, in most cases, will be followed by a hearing. For more information, refer to the links listed in the right nav bar under landlord and tenant related issues.

Note: A police officer will respond to assist members of the public in Landlord and Tenant Act disputes in a peacekeeping and/or mediation capacity. Longstanding resolutions to landlord/tenant disputes are sought by following the guidelines outlined in the Act.

Where can I go to find more information on separation and divorce related issues?

Separation and divorce can be very difficult periods of adjustment and it is important to understand your rights and obligations before making critical separation decisions. The links on the right hand side of this page will help you find detailed information on issues that may be important to you. Also featured is information pretaining to the process of getting a divorce, including use of a mediator and going to court. Information on custody and access, financial support, property, and domestic violence is also available, as is information about how to find a lawyer and resolve legal issues.

Note: The Halton Regional Police Service will respond to domestic situations to determine if a criminal violation has occurred. Examples include: assaults, property damage and breach of conditions. In appropriate cases and where evidence warrants, charges may be laid. In certain circumstances, the police will keep the peace and attempt mediation (excluding property issues) with affected parties.

What about other civil issues?

People will contact the HRPS about civil issues such as non-payment of wages and/or service rendered, and debts owed. Generally speaking, these types of occurrences are not criminal or police matters, and should be directed to a Provincial Small Claims Court.

Note: The police will respond to situations where parties are arguing about the issue to keep the peace and/or attempt to mediate the dispute. Officers usually refer civil issues to the civil courts.

Where can I find information on Peace Bonds and Surety Issues?

There is a distinct difference between Peace Bonds and Surety issues. You can apply for a Peace Bond, Restraining Order or Terms of Release if you feel you are being threatened by a partner or ex-partner, or if you are being stalked. Peace Bonds, Restraining Orders and Terms of Release are issued when a court believes one person may cause injury to another person and/or to member of their family, or when the court sees that a person has “reasonable fear” of another person. A Surety is someone who agrees to take responsibility for a person accused of a crime. Responsibilities of a Surety include making certain that the accused comes to court on time and on the right dates, as well as making sure that the accused obeys each condition of the bail order. For detailed information on issues related to peace bonds or surety issues, refer the links listed in the right navigation bar.

Note: Generally, police are not involved in the creation of peace bonds or sureties but will enforce the conditions outlined in both.

Where can I find information on regulations associated with pocket bikes, ATV’s and other off-road vehicles?

Municipalities have the authority to determine whether or not off-road vehicles (ORVs) should be allowed access to roads under their authority. Off-road vehicles (ORVs) are defined as any two or three-wheeled motorized vehicles as well as specific vehicles described by regulations, with four or more wheels, intended for recreational use. ORVs are prohibited from 400 series highways, the Trans-Canada Highway and the Queen Elizabeth Way. ORVs cannot operate in a construction zone, on a closed highway, or within a provincial park unless allowed by the park. Municipalities may pass by-laws to decide if, where, and when off-road vehicles can be used on local roads. For further information please refer to the link listed to the right.

Note: The police will respond to complaints regarding pocket bikes, ATVs and/or ORVs that require immediate attention. A responding officer will investigate for violations under the Highway Traffic Act / Off-Road Vehicles Act and/or Compulsary Automobile Insurance Act. Note also that police have the authority to seize off-road vehicles and charge their operators when circumstances warrant.

What do I do if I want to dispose of hazardous waste material?

Guidelines in place under new environmental laws that govern the disposal of hazardous toxins. Residential hazardous waste must not be put in the garbage or poured down the drain. Hazardous waste is usually labelled as corrosive, explosive, poison or flammable. Materials of this nature can be taken to the Household Hazardous Waste Depot located at the Halton Waste Management Site at 5400 Regional Road 25 in Milton (905-825-6000 ext. 8291). For more information on waste management please refer to the link located in the right navigation bar.

Note: Halton Regional Police Service officers will respond to incidents involving hazardous waste disposal that require immediate action (i.e. accidents, spills, industrial accidents, etc.). If required, the police will also facilitate contact with the appropriate health/cleanup agencies. Charges are usually laid by the proper government agency.

Where can I find more information on issues related to fines, tickets, offences, and/or loss of points?

The demerit point system is designed to encourage drivers to improve their driving behaviour. Drivers convicted of driving-related offences have demerit points recorded on their records. Demerit points stay on your record for two years from the date of the offence. If you accumulate too many demerit points, your driver’s licence can be suspended. Further information can be found online on the Ministry of Transportation link found to the right.

If you receive a ticket, there are several options available to all defendants as outlined on the back of your ticket. For further information please see the corresponding link at right. Ticket payments can be made in person at any Provincial Offences Court in Ontario by cash, cheque, debit, Visa or Mastercard or can be made online. If you fail to respond to the ticket after 30 days have passed, the charge will be placed on a Fail to Respond docket and a Justice of the Peace will review the offence notice and may convict you in absentia.

Note: Members of the Halton Regional Police Service are tasked with enforcement of provincial statutes, including the Highway Traffic Act and Liquor Licence Act. Hence, officers are familiar with the rules governing the loss of points, licence suspension, etc.