Vehicle Towing and Seizure:
As the registered owner and/or driver of a vehicle involved in a motor vehicle collision (MVC), you have the right to have your vehicle towed by the towing company of your choice to the location of your choice.
HRPS officers will continue to respond to collisions where involved vehicle(s) require a tow truck.
If you are involved in a MVC, you will be provided with the following options as they relate to the towing of your vehicle:
Provided that the response time of the towing company is reasonable, you can use the towing company of your choice. This includes agencies such as CAA that have their own authorized towing companies.
The Halton Regional Police Service has authorized a number of towing companies to tow vehicles involved in motor vehicle collisions on your behalf. These companies are assigned to particular accidents and vehicles on a rotational basis and adhere to stringent conditions set out by the HRPS.
For an up-to-date listing for HRPS authorized towing companies, click here.
If you are unable to determine the type of tow due to injury or arrest, your vehicle will be seized and towed to a secure compound by an authorized HRPS towing company. You will be issued a vehicle release slip to retrieve your vehicle at a later time.
If Your Vehicle Is Towed:
If your motor vehicle is towed to an authorized tow company compound:
- You will need to obtain a release slip from the police station in the District from which your vehicle was towed
- The release slip is then taken to the tow company compound
- Once the release slip is presented, along with payment of towing charges and storage fees, you can retrieve your car
If your vehicle is towed as a result of a by-law infraction:
- Your vehicle will be towed by an authorized tow company
- You will need to obtain a release slip (see above) and pay towing and storage fees to retrieve your motor vehicle
The rates set for towing were part of a tendering process in conjunction with the Region of Halton. Check with your towing company for exact rates and costs.