Youth Advisory Council
Youth interactions and engagement present a unique and exciting opportunity for law enforcement. Our Police Service has recognized how youth have had an impact within the community and have used their voices to effect change. The Youth Advisory Council was developed to promote a partnership between youth in our community and our Police Service. The goal of the Youth Advisory Council is to:
- Advise our Police Service on how our policies, programs and outreach initiatives are impacting youth living in the Region of Halton.
- Understand how our current programs and initiatives can be enhanced to better support and serve our youth and the community.
The Youth Advisory council is meant to be representative of the community we serve. Selection of the youth to participate will be based on the following guidelines including:
- Youth aged 14-18
- Currently residing in the Region of Halton
- The ability to pass a criminal background check
- Ability to commit to monthly meetings for a period of one year
Note: Individuals with a criminal record or charges pending will not automatically be excluded from participating in the Youth Advisory Council.
Why a Youth Advisory Council?
- Be a source of positive change through inclusion and collaboration with local youth and the Police Service.
- Highlight our Police Service’s commitment to youth development and leadership.
- Ensure we have a point of reference within the community to guide us in future programming and services aimed at youth.
- Help address barriers to Police and youth engagement.
- Promote volunteerism within the community and Police Service.
- Create youth ambassadors who can promote the work we are doing within the community.
- Assist our Police Service in the development of other Equity, Diversity and Inclusion initiatives / programming.
**Applications for the upcoming Youth Advisory Council are being accepted until November 27, 2020 with an anticipated January 2021 start. A record of volunteer hours will be provided for all youth participants**
For more information about the Halton Regional Police Service Youth Advisory Council, contact:
Sergeant Ryan Smith
905-825-4777 ext. 5130