School Bus Safety
The Halton Regional Police Service is pleased to provide the following school bus safety tips:
- Drive with extra care whenever you see a school bus in front of you or coming toward you
- Remember that if a school bus flashes its red lights, traffic in both directions must stop at least 20 metres from the bus. Travel may not resume until the school bus resumes motion and/or the lights have stopped flashing.
- The Province of Ontario recently increased fines and demerit points for drivers who violate laws relating to school buses, as outlined in the Highway Traffic Act.
- Remind children to be extra careful when boarding or disembarking from school buses
- Make sure they remember to take a second look for traffic before crossing the road
- Remind children to follow the school bus safety rules taught at school
- Encourage your child/children to help their school bus driver keep his/her attention on road safety by being good passengers