Halton Regional Police Service
In This Section
Increase Font Normal Font Decrease Font Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook View our videos on YouTube

Media Release

Release Date: May 8th, 2020 - 9:32am

Originator: Constable, Steve Elms, Corporate Communications, 905-825-4747 ext 5224

Contact: Detective, Ryan Smith, 2 District Criminal Investigation Bureau, 905-825-4747 extension 2219

Location: Oakville

Attachment 1: 6450-IMG_1567.jpg
Attachment 2: 6450-IMG_1569.JPEG
Attachment 3: 6450-IMG_1572.jpg

UPDATE: Barricaded Male Safely Apprehended

Further to original release:

On May 1, 2020, an Oakville man was apprehended under the Mental Health Act and transported to a local hospital for assessment.  Upon his release from hospital on May 7, 2020 he was subsequently charged with the following Criminal Code offences:

-Uttering Threats to Cause Death

-Mischief Over $5000

A Criminal Code search warrant was executed at the residence of the accused, resulting in the seizure of 14 guns and over 10000 rounds of ammunition (see photos attached).

The accused has been held in custody pending a bail hearing.

The Halton Regional Police Service will not be releasing the name of the accused.

Anyone with further information regarding this investigation is asked to contact Det. Ryan Smith of the 2 District Criminal Investigations Bureau at 905-825-4747 ext. 2219.

Tips can also be submitted anonymously to Crime Stoppers "See something? Hear something? Know something? Contact Crime Stoppers" at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or through the web at www.haltoncrimestoppers.ca.


At approximately 12:45 pm the Halton Regional Police Service received a call regarding a male barricaded in a home, possibly with weapons, on Honeyvale Road in Oakville.

The call originated from someone concerned about social media posts they had seen online.

Frontline officers, TAC, K9, and negotiators were deployed to the scene with the goal of bringing this to a safe conclusion.

Roads were closed to pedestrian and vehicle traffic in the immediate area and adjacent homeowners were instructed by officers to shelter in place in their basements until the situation was resolved.

During negotiations, a second party (female) exited the home unharmed and negotiations continued unsuccessfully with the male party.

Officers then received information that escalated our concern for the male, and entry was made into the home at which time the male was apprehended. He was taken to hospital for assessment.

There is no ongoing related threat to public safety.

Thank you to area residents for their patience as we worked to resolve this situation safely.