The Halton Regional Police Service (HRPS) is committed to providing our community with the highest quality police service possible, and we hold ourselves accountable in everything we do. Public feedback is essential to ensuring that we continue to meet or exceed the expectations of our residents.


There are two types of complaints:

  • Against the policies of, or services provided by, the Halton Regional Police Service
  • Against the conduct of a Halton Regional Police Service officer

Complainants are encouraged to attend any Halton Regional Police Service station to file a complaint. The Halton Regional Police Service strives to resolve complaints or conflicts within a timely manner. Complainants may also contact Professional Standards at 905-825-4777 or if they cannot attend their district station.

Further to contacting Professional Standards, complainants also have the option of contacting the Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD) to assist with resolutions.

The status or results of public complaints can be viewed on the Office of the Independent Police Review Director (OIPRD) website.

Decisions made by the Ontario Civilian Police Commission (OCPC) can be viewed on the OCPC website.


It is truly a privilege for us to serve this community, and so many of our members go above and beyond when they are performing their duties.

We would like to hear from you! If you would like to compliment one of our members, please email us at

How Do I Find Out the Outcome of a Disciplinary Hearing?

Transparency and community trust are very important to our organization. It is imperative for us to allow the public a clear understanding of the ongoing disciplinary hearings that take place. The results of these hearings need to be accessible to the public and therefore we publish the outcomes for a period of three months. 

Recent PSA Decisions
Upcoming PSA Hearings


Can I file a complaint about the off-duty conduct of a police officer?

A complaint may be filed about the conduct of an off-duty officer. The respondent officer, however, shall not be found guilty of misconduct if there is no connection between the conduct and either the occupational requirements of a police officer or the reputation of the Halton Regional Police Service.

What takes place at a disciplinary hearing?

If the Chief of Police or Office of the Independent Police Review Director orders a disciplinary hearing, a prosecuting officer or a legal counsel/agent designated by the Chief is responsible for presenting the evidence. You will be informed about your participation at the hearing. The hearing is presided by a Hearing Officer who is also designated by the Chief. The Hearing Officer considers the evidence and decides the outcome.

An officer found guilty of misconduct could face a range of penalties from reprimand to dismissal and could also be directed to undergo counselling, treatment and/or training.

What can I do if I am not satisfied with a decision at a disciplinary hearing?

A person making a complaint (complainant) or the police officer named in a complaint may appeal to the Ontario Civilian Police Commission within thirty (30) days of the decision of a disciplinary hearing if the officer's misconduct or unsatisfactory work performance was not established. If a complainant wishes to appeal a penalty imposed by the Hearing Officer, consent from the Ontario Civilian Police Commission on Police Services is required.

Contact Information

HRPS Professional Standards
Phone: 905-825-4885