Be A Police Cadet
The Halton Regional Police Service established its one-year Police Cadet program in June, 2009. The primary purpose of the Police Cadet program is to promote and enhance the career development and experience of future Police Constable candidates.
Eight Halton Regional Police Service Cadets are currently assigned to locations throughout the Region.
- To work in a Police Division under the mentoring of a Halton Regional Police Constable
- To participate as a member of the Halton Regional Police Service at community events, crime prevention initiatives, special projects
- To provide front-line information and assistance to members of the public (in person and by telephone); become familiar with police procedures, and to assist police officers in the performance of their duties
- To perform other duties as directed
To be considered for a Police Cadet position, candidates must:
- Be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Be of good moral character and habits
- Be mentally able to perform the job
- Possess a valid driver's licence (minimum Class 'G') with a good driving record
- Have successfully completed secondary school or the approved equivalent
- Meet vision standards of uncorrected visual acuity of at least 20/40 binocularly, corrected visual accuity should be at least 20/20 binocularly, with normal colour vision, and normal hearing standards
- Possess either a OACP Certificate of Results, or the ability to obtain this certificate during the contract position. Please note: Applicants who do not possess the OACP Certificate will be subject to a physical readiness assessment as part of the selection process.
- Possess a good level of physical fitness
- Possess a current Standard First Aid certificate and current CPR certificate (Basic Rescuer Level C)
- Between the ages of 19-24 years of age
- Recent post-secondary graduate or in the last semester of post-secondary education, with graduation in Spring, 2019
Work Duration and Salary:
Individuals hired as Police Cadets with the Halton Regional Police Service will be paid a salary for the duration of their one year work experience program.
Work term commences in May, 2019.
Candidates will be assigned varied shifts, including days, evenings, nights and weekends.
How To Apply:
The recruiting process typically consists of information sessions and the submission of online applications and hard copy applications. Subsequent stages involve interviews, psychological testing, background investigations and medical examinations. Candidates are invited to download the application package and HRPS Waiver.
Online applications for the 2019 Police Cadet intake will be accepted from September 17, 2018 to October 15, 2018. Hard copy applications are to be received by 4:00pm on October 15, 2018, at Halton Regional Police Headquarters, 2485 North Service Road West, Oakville, Ontario, L6M 0Y3
For more information about the Halton Regional Police Service Police Cadet program, contact: