Under the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, anyone wishing to make an application for information or exercise your right to correct your personal information within a record held by the police must submit a Freedom of Information access/correction request.

How to Make a Freedom of Information Request

Complete the Online FOI Access Request Form and pay the $5.00, non-refundable, application fee with Mastercard or Visa.

Please do not use this application to request a copy of Motor Vehicle Collision reports. For MVC reports, please see our Police Records page.

If you are unable to apply online or would like to submit a correction request, mail the application form with a $5.00, non-refundable,  application fee to:

Halton Regional Police Service
Attention: Freedom of Information Unit
2485 North Service Road West
Oakville, Ontario L6M 3H8

We accept cheques, Debit, Visa, and MasterCard as payment options for the application fee. All cheques are to be made payable to the Halton Regional Police Service. The application fee does not apply to correction requests.

In the application form, please provide as much detail as possible specifying the information you are requesting. You may also consult with the Directory of Records for additional information.

Law Firms or Insurance Companies

If you are a law firm or insurance company please enclose a signed authorization or a consent form addressed to the Halton Regional Police Service with your request.  Please note your request for records can be sent on your company letterhead rather than the application form.

Failing to detail exactly what you are requesting, providing the application fee, or your client's authorization, will delay your request.

Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act

The purpose of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act is:

  • To provide the right of access to information under the control of the police in accordance with the principles that information should be available to the public.
    • Exemptions from this right of access should be limited and specific, and decisions on disclosure should be reviewed independently.
  • To protect the privacy of individuals.

The Act also allows individuals to make privacy complaints should they believe a member of a police service has violated their privacy rights.

Contact the Information and Privacy Commissioner's office at 1-800-387-0073 regarding the complaint procedure or visit www.ipc.on.ca.

Contact Information

For help with an application or more information, please contact:

Freedom of Information Unit
Phone: 905-825-4777 ext. 5192