Halton Regional Police Service
In This Section
Increase Font Normal Font Decrease Font Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook View our videos on YouTube

Report A Collision

The Highway Traffic Act requires that all motor vehicle collisions with total damage in excess of $2,000.00 are reported forthwith to the nearest police service agency.

The Halton Regional Police Service will dispatch officers to collisions involving:

  1. Injury or death;
  2. Suspected criminal activity including but not limited to: fail to remain, impaired driving, stolen vehicle;
  3. Federal, provincial, or municipal vehicles;
  4. Hazardous materials or conditions;
  5. Damage to private, municipal, or highway property;
  6. A person who is unlicensed, uninsured or a suspended driver;
  7. Disturbances between involved persons;
  8. Major traffic congestion as a result of the collision;
  9. A person who demands police attendance;
  10. A driving offence where there is reason to believe that a violation has been committed against federal, provincial, or municipal legislation (e.g. disobeying traffic light, careless driving, etc.) and where charges may be appropriate.

Collision Reporting Centres:

The Halton Regional Police Service has entered into an agreement with Halton Accident Support Services Ltd. to operate three collision reporting centres (CRC) in the Region. These reporting centres are privately owned and staffed with non-Service employees. These centres will take reports for minor property damage collisions.

There are three common ways that drivers involved in minor motor vehicle collision will attend a CRC:

  1. Self-Referral – Involved driver is aware of the reporting requirement, vehicle(s) are drivable and police are not called at time of incident.
  2. Communications Bureau Referral – Involved driver(s) call police and are referred to CRC by Communications Bureau staff if the collision does not meet the dispatch requirements listed above.
  3. Police Officer Referral – Officers will continue to be dispatched to all MVCs that require a tow truck response. If, in the officer’s opinion, the MVC meets the criteria for CRC reporting during operational hours, the officer may refer the drivers to the closest CRC. Officers will provide a CRC information pamphlet to involved drivers at the scene.

Locations and Operating Hours:

HRPS 12 Division Lobby

490 Childs Drive, Milton, ON, L9T 5G2
Hours: 10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (Monday - Friday)
10:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m. (Saturday)
Closed Sundays and Holidays
Telephone: 905-636-3100

HRPS 20 Division Lobby

95 Oak Walk Drive, Oakville, ON, L6H 0G6
Hours:10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (Monday – Friday)
Closed Saturday, Sunday and Holidays
Telephone: 905-825-4640

HRPS 30 Division Lobby

3800 Constable Henshaw Blvd., Burlington, ON, L7M 3Y2
Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m. (Monday - Friday)
10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. (Saturday, Sunday and Holidays)
Telephone: 905-331-0233

In cases where a driver attends a Collision Reporting Centre, the involved vehicle must be driven or towed to the centre for examination. When you arrive at the CRC staff will document and photograph damage, apply damage stickers, take the MVC report, and facilitate contact with respective insurance companies.

Outside of CRC hours of operation, all motor vehicle collisions will be dispatched to and investigated by front line patrol officers. Collisions that are investigated and completed by officers are not referred to the CRC. Vehicles will be removed from the scene and will be taken to wherever the driver/owner directs.

For more information on the Collision Reporting Centres, visit www.accsupport.com